[RegCNET] Stagnant upper atmosphere in RegCM?

Maurice.McHugh at noaa.gov Maurice.McHugh at noaa.gov
Fri May 13 17:26:10 CEST 2011

Colleagues,

I am trying to perform some ozone transport in RegCM3.  However, ozone is not being transported below the upper atmosphere, even when the input data has downwelling.  I believe this is because the atmosphere is basically stagnant above 200 hPa (omega ~= 0 hPa/s).  Has anyone else worked with RegCM in the upper atmosphere?  Is there something hard-coded within the model that does this?  Or are there parameters I could change to solve the problem?

I’ve attached a GRADS plot that demonstrates the difference between model input and output data for ozone.  The other plot is the difference between omega from the GCM and RegCM output.

Many thanks for any ideas.