[RegCNET] compiler option -fp-model precise

Raymond Arritt rwarritt at bruce.agron.iastate.edu
Tue Apr 12 00:09:48 CEST 2011

Dear friends,

In doing some tests with RegCM4 using various options for the Intel compiler I have
found that the option "-fp-model precise" slows down the model by around 15%.  This
option is specified by default in RegCM4.  A writeup from Intel explains some of the
reasoning behind use of this option:
http://software.intel.com/file/32018/

I am curious as to whether anyone has tested RegCM4 with and without this option to
see what *practical* effect it has on the model results; i.e., whether the concerns
noted in the Intel document are significant in practice.  The Intel document notes
that results from a WRF run were "slightly different" without this option, but
doesn't specify what "slightly different" means.

If it can be turned off with little or no effect on model results then this would
increase execution speed by a noticeable amount.  Although the difference of 15% in
execution speed is not huge, for long runs it could mean a week or so in terms of
time to complete a simulation.

Thanks
Ray

--
  Raymond W. Arritt                       tel       +1-424-242-0329
  Professor                               tel (local only) 294-9870