[RegCNET] savefile

Graziano Giuliani graziano.giuliani at aquila.infn.it
Thu Jan 20 09:57:26 CET 2011

On 01/19/2011 05:59 PM, Michael Notaro wrote:
> Could someone explain the individual purposes
> of "call read_savefile_part1" versus "call read_savefile_part2"
> in the regcm4 code?
[...]

Michaael,

the mod_savefile is in the not yet officially released version 4.1 of RegCM.

We have introduced those two subroutines to gather all savefile related
activities in a single dedicated module. In the 4.0 code the two subroutines
init and spinit read the savevile in different parts, and the output subroutine
writes the savefile, for a total of three files with I/O operations. Now all
read and write operations are gathered in the mod_savefile, and those two
subroutines appear called by mod_init and mod_split. They are called "part1" and
"part2" because the data in part2 (split explicit data and boundary conditions)
are read from file after those in part1 (status variables). mod_savefile now
contains all reads/writes to the unformatted SAV file. As this file is used only
for internal purposes and is not a model output, the I/O format has not been
migrated to the 4.1 common NetCDF.
This gathering allows easier and hopefully consistent modifications to the
savefile format to be performed editing just the mod_savefile module.

Ciao!

Graziano.