[RegCNET] Questions about CHE files with postproc

R. Chris Owen owenrc at umich.edu
Mon Sep 28 04:15:29 CEST 2009

Hello fellow RegCM users,

I have a simulation with SO2, BC, and OC. I have used a version of
postproc dated Apr 2009 (at the top of postproc.f) to compute monthly
averages from the CHE files. It appears to run OK (i.e., no errors
given). In the postproc output files, I have 3 things that seem odd
and/or incorrect:

1) the units for each tracer are unstated and apparently ~1e9 time
larger. The original CHE files have each tracer in mass mixing ratio
(kg/kg), with values of an upper limit in the range of 1 ppb. The
postproc files have values with an upper limit of 9 parts/part (an
unachievable number). Could this be a conversion from part/part to ppb?
Or some other conversion (to concentrations or volume mixing ratios)?

2) in the postproc files, the tracer at each output level, while
different in the shape of the contours, is roughly equivalent in
magnitude. Intuitively, species with a surface emission should be
significantly higher at the surface than at an altitude of 10 km and the
original CHE files indicate that the surface concentrations are 1e3-1e4
time larger than those in the top output level.

3) the order of the levels from RegCM to posproc files seems to be
reversed. The original CHE files have level 1 at the surface, while
level 1 in the postproc files is apparently the upper most model level
(though, it's hard to tell from looking at the data, since the data is
of similar magnitude at each output level). this seems to be the case
for the other file types as well (ICBC, SURF, ATM, etc.), so maybe this
is also normal and I just don't know it.

Any thoughts or experience with this? Or maybe know someone there who
may have looked at the CHE output before and has some insight?

Many thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Chris Owen