[RegCNET] 10 km run

Moetasim mashfaq at purdue.edu
Thu Mar 15 17:42:58 CET 2007

Hi,

1) I agree with gao that a direct run at 10 km using 2.5 degree ICBC data is a
bit harsh use of RegCM3. The better approach is to run RegCM at intermediate
resolution (say 25/30 km) and then run a further nested run at 10 km. Also, it
would be advisable to use better resolution ICBC data (e.g. a high resolution
ERA40).

2) One reason of RegCM over estimation is your small domain. I expect model
getting drier if you have a reasonbaly large domain. Small domains/high
resolutions tend to give over estimation of precpitation. You have to select a
reasonably large domain. A 50 x 50 domain at 50 km would be a minumum near me-
this would require you to select a ~250 x 250 domain at 10 km at least.

3) As gao said, CRU data should not be used to compare high resolution run.
Better choice is station data or high resolution gridded data.

Moet

The high precp at 10 km is bit surprising for me. I understand that the domain
of your simulation is very small (smaller than what a RCM domain should be as a
minimum).

Quoting gaoxj at cma.gov.cn:

> Hi Csaba,
>
> Seems you are doing the highest resolution simulation by RegCM3. I think we
> do not have such experiences before. I have some suggestions, but do not know
> whether they will work or not.
>
> 1. Generally, people say that the ratio for the driven resolution to RCM
> resolution is better to be in the range of 3-5, 10 is the maximum. There
> should be some references on this, but I do not have in hand. Maybe you can
> try the double-nesting, from 2.5 degrees to say 50 km first, then from 50 to
> 10?
>
> 2. CRU is in the resolution of 0.5 deg. It smoothes the precip peak.
> Meanwhile, over mountain areas, it tends to under-estimate the real precip
> because no weather stations there. What about try to evaluate the model by
> some station data?
>
> 3. A critical issue is that RegCM3 is hydro-statistic. Some people say a
> model like that can go to 10 km, some said not and you need a
> non-hydro-statistic one. I have no idea about this. Maybe others have?
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gao

reasonablyk we
> do not have such experiences before. I have some suggestions, but do not know
> whether they will work or not.
>
> 1. Generally, people say that the ratio for the driven resolution to RCM
> resolution is better to be in the range of 3-5, 10 is the maximum. There
> should be some references on this, but I do not have in hand. Maybe you can
> try the double-nesting, from 2.5 degrees to say 50 km first, then from 50 to
> 10?
>
> 2. CRU is in the resolution of 0.5 deg. It smoothes the precip peak.
> Meanwhile, over mountain areas, it tends to under-estimate the real precip
> because no weather stations there. What about try to evaluate the model by
> some station data?
>
> 3. A critical issue is that RegCM3 is hydro-statistic. Some people say a
> model like that can go to 10 km, some said not and you need a
> non-hydro-statistic one. I have no idea about this. Maybe others have?
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gao

precipitationwe
> do not have such experiences before. I have some suggestions, but do not know
> whether they will work or not.
>
> 1. Generally, people say that the ratio for the driven resolution to RCM
> resolution is better to be in the range of 3-5, 10 is the maximum. There
> should be some references on this, but I do not have in hand. Maybe you can
> try the double-nesting, from 2.5 degrees to say 50 km first, then from 50 to
> 10?
>
> 2. CRU is in the resolution of 0.5 deg. It smoothes the precip peak.
> Meanwhile, over mountain areas, it tends to under-estimate the real precip
> because no weather stations there. What about try to evaluate the model by
> some station data?
>
> 3. A critical issue is that RegCM3 is hydro-statistic. Some people say a
> model like that can go to 10 km, some said not and you need a
> non-hydro-statistic one. I have no idea about this. Maybe others have?
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gao

reasonablyk we