STARTING SHORTLY: -at 16.30 in Budinich LH- ICTP Colloquium by Prof. Michael Peskin on "The Quest for 30 TeV, the next milestone in elementary particle physics"

ICTP/infopoint infopoint at ictp.it
Wed Nov 20 16:09:40 CET 2019

ICTP is pleased to announce that the forthcoming ICTP Colloquium on "The
Quest for 30 TeV, the next milestone in elementary particle physics" by
Professor Michael Peskin, SLAC National Accelerator Lab, Stanford
University, USA will take place at 16:30 hrs, in the Budinich Lecture
Hall, Leonardo Building, ICTP.
*
Biosketch: *
Michael Peskin is a theoretical elementary particle physicist. He
received his Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1978. After postdoctoral
appointments at Harvard Unversity and Cornell, he joined the faculty of
the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory at Stanford University in 1982.
A theme that runs through much of his work is the use of high-precision
measurements at the highest energy lepton and hadron colliders to search
for new interactions beyond the particle physics Standard Model. He is
the author of the textbooks "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory",
with Daniel Schroeder, and, very recently, "Concepts of Elementary
Particle Physics".
*
Abstract: *We have a "Standard Model" of elementary particle physics
which successfully describes the subnuclear interactions at the energies
of our current experiments, including those at the CERN Large Hadron
Collider. However, this model is manifestly incomplete. It raises
questions that can only be answered if there are additional fundamental
interactions at still higher energies. How far do we need to go? I will
argue that achieving 30 TeV in the quark or lepton center of mass system
is the next important milestone for our particle accelerators. How will
we get there? There is no solution today, but many lines of research
have been opened. I will discuss the proposed technologies using
proton-proton, muon-muon, electron-positron, and photon-photon colliders.

The information is available at http://indico.ictp.it/event/9053/

The Colloquium will be livestreamed at ictp.it/livestream

Light refreshments will be served after the talk.

You are all very warmly invited to attend.

With best regards,

Office of the Director, ICTP