Donations for the Flood Victims in Bosnia

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Tue Jun 10 11:42:21 CEST 2014

Dear Friends,

The generosity of the ICTP community in response to our appeal for the
victims of the flooding in Bosnia was huge. Our friend and colleague
Tarik Srna, who was  instrumental in getting the project off the ground
and was also at the ICTP to receive your donations, expressed his
appreciation of the ICTP community:  "ma che bella gente".  Azra and I
would like to update you on the situation.

MATERIAL GOODS: Within five days of the disaster, on May 23, a small ad
hoc group of Bosnians and their friends in Trieste joined forces to
collect and deliver three large vans full of clothing, blankets, food,
drinking water and personal hygiene supplies to the village of Doboj
South, one of the towns most severely hit by the floods and landslides.
The shipment was put into the hands of the Red Cross for distribution to
those in greatest need.

All of the material goods collected from you, our friends and colleagues
at the ICTP, on May 21st , were included in this first mission. Nine
people drove all night to deliver this aid directly to the people in
need. One van was donated, two were rented at a modest price, and all
highway tolls were waived for this mission of humanitarian aid. We
attach a couple of photographs for your information. There are also many
links and photographs on our Facebook pages.

MONETARY CONTRIBUTIONS: The monetary contributions that we have received
from you, both through the collective donation from the Fund for Hunger
and the individual contributions that were trustingly put in my hands on
Wednesday, have been kept aside for the time being. We are in the
process, together with a group of seriously dedicated people, of
identifying the best way to get the funds directly to the neediest
people without any of it being siphoned off or wasted. One idea is to
focus on one village, or several specific families, to help the people
help themselves. We are planning to travel to the Tuzla area ourselves
as soon as the situation becomes less dramatic and the borders open up.
We are still collecting money for this purpose, and will keep you informed.

We are still actively soliciting and collecting material through the
Association "Bosna Trst". Thanks to the generosity of the Centro
Culturale Islamico in Via Pascoli 45, space has been made available to
store and sort the material for shipment. Donations can be dropped off
every day from 17.00 - 20.00, or outside these hours by calling Sefik
(340 727 2406), Mujo (328 215 5108) or Jasmin (389 116 5108). Pickups
can also be arranged.  We attach a flyer, in Italian, with the details.
  Please feel free to disseminate this any way you can.

We would also like to call your attention to this blog by Erika Cei, in
Italian, which contains excellent commentary, first-hand reporting and
photographs of this heartbreaking disaster in the Balkans that is all
but being ignored in the press.
http://photofrasando.blogspot.it/2014/06/lalluvione-nei-balcani-quindici-giorni.html

With warm thanks and warm regards,

Azra Nuhefendic and Katrina Danforth