ICTP Colloquium Tomorrow, 13 September 2012 at 16:30

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Wed Sep 12 14:18:47 CEST 2012

*ICTP COLLOQUIUM*

* *

*16:30, Thursday, 13 September 2012*

*Main Lecture Hall, Leonardo Building, ICTP*

* *

* *

* *

*Randomness and Pseudorandomness*

*
**
**Avi Wigderson***

*Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton

*

*Abstract

Is the universe inherently deterministic or probabilistic? Perhaps more
importantly - can we tell the difference between the two?

Humanity has pondered the meaning and utility of randomness for
millennia. There is a remarkable variety of ways in which we utilize
perfect coin tosses to our advantage: in statistics, cryptography, game
theory, algorithms, gambling... Indeed, randomness seems indispensable!
Which of these applications survive if the universe had no randomness in
it at all? Which of them survive if only poor quality randomness is
available, e.g. that arises from "unpredictable" phenomena like the
weather or the stock market?

A computational theory of randomness, developed in the past three
decades, reveals (perhaps counter-intuitively) that very little is lost
in such deterministic or weakly random worlds. In the talk I'll explain
the main ideas and results of this theory.

No particular technical background will be assumed.*