CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Seminar Series) 13 March, 11:00hrs, by Dr Alhadji Malloum

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Thu Mar 7 11:31:05 CET 2024

CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Seminar Series)

*Wednesday, 13 March 2024, 11:00 hrs*
*/Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (Leonardo Building, first floor)/*/
/
/Zoom registration link:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMpf-CorT0pEtWnaPyfrbX1otmigXiPSxqv<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAudumhqT4qEt0GIccxh3tS2MirPajONYaO>
<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMpf-CorT0pEtWnaPyfrbX1otmigXiPSxqv> /

Speaker:*  Alhadji Malloum * (University of the Free State, South Africa)

Title: *Modelling the Liquid Phase Using Molecular Clusters*

Abstract:

Molecular clusters can be used to model the liquid phase to describe
several processes in liquid solvents. In this talk, I will present four
cases in which molecular clusters have been used to predict some
properties of processes taking place in liquid solvents. The first case
is the solvation free energy of the proton in a given liquid solvent. We
used a scheme initially proposed by Tawa and coworkers ^[1] to evaluate
the proton's solvation free energy in ammonia and methanol at various
temperatures ^[2, 3] . In the second case, we adapted Tawa's scheme to
evaluate the proton transfer free energy and enthalpy at the interface
of two solvents (water-ammonia and water-acetonitrile) ^[4] . In the
third case, molecular clusters are used to account for the solvent
effects in the calculation of adsorption energies of pollutants in
wastewater treatment ^[5] . In the last case, the quantum cluster
equilibrium (QCE) theory has been applied to estimate the cluster
population of liquid ethanol. Based on this population, thermodynamic
properties such as the heat capacity at constant volume/pressure and the
infrared spectrum of liquid ethanol are estimated ^[6] .