QLS Seminar - Monday, 22 January 11h00: "The ecology of the gut microbiome" by KC Huang

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Fri Jan 19 09:32:21 CET 2024

Dear All,

On Monday, 22 January 2024 at 11h00 CET, KC Huang (Stanford U.) will
give a seminar titled:

*The ecology of the gut microbiome
*

_Abstract:_

  Microbiota dynamics arise from a plethora of interspecies
interactions, including resource competition, cross-feeding, and pH
modulation. The individual contributions of these mechanisms are
challenging to untangle, especially in natural or complex laboratory
environments where the landscape of resource competition is unclear.

First, I will discuss how we developed a framework to estimate the
extent of multi-species niche overlaps by combining metabolomics data of
individual species, growth measurements in pairwise spent media, and
mathematical models. When applied to an in vitro model system of human
gut commensals in complex media, our framework revealed that a simple
model of resource competition described most pairwise interactions. By
grouping metabolomic features depleted by the same set of species, we
constructed a coarse-grained consumer-resource model that predicted
assembly compositions to reasonable accuracy.

Next, I will show how dose dependence can arise between closely related
organisms as long as competition is sufficiently intense. Finally, I
will discuss our recent efforts to explore spatial variation along the
human intestinal tract, and how that informs our understanding of the
gut environment.

_
_
_The seminar will take place in the *Common area*, Ex SISSA building,
Second floor, via Beirut 2
_ _
_Indico webpage: https://indico.ictp.it/event/10621/
__