2 QLS Seminars - Wed. 28 February at 10:00am and 2:30pm

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Feb 27 09:51:54 CET 2024

On Wednesday, 28 February  at 10:00 CET, Yizhou Xu (Tsinghua University,
China.) will give a seminar titled:

_Fast renormalizing the structures and dynamics of ultra-large systems
via random renormalization group_*_
_ *

_Abstract:
_Criticality and symmetry, studied by the renormalization groups, lie at
the heart of modern physics theories of matters and complex systems.
However, surveying these properties with massive experimental data is
bottlenecked by the intolerable costs of computing renormalization
groups on real systems. Here, we develop a time- and memory-efficient
framework, termed as the random renormalization group, for renormalizing
ultra-large systems (e.g., with millions of units) within minutes. This
framework is based on random projections, hashing techniques, and kernel
representations, which support the renormalization governed by linear
and non-linear correlations. For system structures, it exploits the
correlations among local topology in kernel spaces to unfold the
connectivity of units, identify intrinsic system scales, and verify the
existences of symmetries under scale transformation. For system
dynamics, it renormalizes units into correlated clusters to analyze
scaling behaviours, validate scaling relations, and investigate
potential criticality. Benefiting from hashing-function-based designs,
our framework significantly reduces computational complexity compared
with classic renormalization groups, realizing a single-step
acceleration of two orders of magnitude. Meanwhile, the efficient
representation of different kinds of correlations in kernel spaces
realized by random projections ensures the capacity of our framework to
capture diverse unit relations. As shown by our experiments, the random
renormalization group helps identify non-equilibrium phase transitions,
criticality, and symmetry in diverse large-scale genetic, neural,
material, social, and cosmological systems.

_
_
_The seminar will take place in the *Common area*, Ex SISSA building,
Second floor, via Beirut 2
_ _
_Indico webpage: https://indico.ictp.it/event/10661/
__
You are all most welcome to attend!
------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- -------------
------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- -------------
------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- -------------
------------- ------------- ------------- -------------

At 14:30  Lorenzo ROSASCO (University of Genoa, Italy) will give a
seminar titled

_Learning functions, operators and dynamical systems with kernels_

_Abstract_:
Supervised machine learning is concerned with the problem of estimating
a function of interest from a random set of input/output pairs. While
classically real-valued functions are considered, there is a growing
interest in estimating more complex maps such as linear and nonlinear
operators.

In this talk, I will describe how some of these questions can be tackled
using kernel methods.
I will show how classical results for scalar-valued functions seamlessly
extend to operators. Then, I will describe how this approach can be used
to learn dynamical systems by estimating the corresponding Koopman operator.

_Venue: Kastler Lecture Hall, Adriatico Guest House, Riva Massimiliano e
Carlotta, Grignano I - 34151 Trieste _

You are all most welcome to attend!

Best regards,
Erica