Save the date! "Physics of complex systems: Fast forward" seminars - 21 February

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Feb 13 12:54:45 CET 2024

Dear All,

On Wednesday, 21 February, the Session "Physics of complex systems: Fast
forward" of the Spring College on the Physics of Complex Systems
<https://indico.ictp.it/event/10459/overview> will feature two seminars:

_*14:00 - 15:00 **- Modelling computations in brain circuits with
low-rank neural networks *- Francesca MASTROGIUSEPPE __(Champalimaud
Research, Portugal)_

Abstract:
Our brain consists of billions of neurons, arranged in a multitude of
areas and densely interconnected through trillions of synapses. How do
interactions within this large complex network support the computations
that are required by our everyday behaviour? Current experimental
technologies enable the investigation of this question in animal models
on a large scale. However, due to the heterogeneity and complexity of
the resulting data, building mechanistic models of computations in
neural circuits that are together interpretable, flexible, and
data-grounded remains challenging.

In this presentation, I will introduce a new class of mathematical
models, named low-rank neural networks, aiming to address these
challenges. These models are rooted in the idea of integrating concepts
and tools from dimensionality reduction, a statistical approach that has
demonstrated promise in the analysis of experimental data, into neural
network models. The key strength of low-rank networks is that they can
be easily analysed mathematically, by using tools from statistical
physics and random matrix theory. I will show how this formalism can be
used to address standing theoretical questions in neuroscience and
artificial neural networks. I will also briefly discuss how those models
can be used to extract insight from large-scale experimental data, with
a focus on neural data collected from multiple cortical areas in the
brain of non-human primates.

*15:30 - 16:30* *- Self-organization of bacterial ecosystems from micro
to macro* -  Alberto DINELLI (Université Paris Cité, Laboratoire Matière
et Systèmes Complexes-MSC, France)

AbstractTBA

_Venue: Kastler Lecture Hall, Adriatico Guest House, Riva Massimiliano e
Carlotta, Grignano I - 34151 Trieste (Italy)_

Best regards,
Erica

--
Erica Sarnataro