TODAY - QLS seminar - Wednesday, 6 September 14h00: "Entropy and statistical complexity rates of Student's t-process" by Velimir Ilić

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Wed Sep 6 09:02:41 CEST 2023

Dear All,

Today,  Wednesday, 6 September 2023 at 14:00 CET, Velimir Ilić
(Mathematical Institute of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts,
Belgrade, Serbia)
will give a seminar titled:*

*

*Entropy and statistical complexity rates of Student's t-process*

*
*

*Abstract:*

Student's t-process is a parametrized generalization of the Gaussian
process, which is widely used for the analysis of heavy-tailed data.
Although these processes share several principal properties, an
important difference can be observed once their Renyi entropy rates are
analyzed instead of the commonly considered Shannon entropy rate. In
this talk, we show that stationary Student's t-processes have, in
general, a nonfinite Renyi entropy rate, while a specific class of
nonstationary Student's t-processes has a finite Renyi entropy rate,
which is fully opposed to the Shannon case. After that, we extend
considerations to the generalized statistical complexity rates, which
represent an interplay between order and disorder levels of a random
process. We show that the statistical complexity rates are invariant
with respect to the stationarity of the Student's t-process while
keeping information about its shape parameter.

_The seminar will take place in the __*Common area*__, ex SISSA
building, via Beirut 2, second floor__
_
__
You are all most welcome to attend!