Masterclass 1 November - Data science and modelling of football

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Thu Oct 19 10:45:26 CEST 2023

The Africa-Europe Cluster of Research Excellence: Addressing Global and
African Challenges Through Methods of Artificial Intelligence, Data
Science, and Theoretical and Computational Thinking presents a Masterclass:

Data Science and modelling of football

Wednesday, 1 November 2023 9h15 - 13h00 SAST

Teacher: Prof David Sumpter (Uppsala University)

VENUE: CoRE-AI universities and online

ABSTRACT
This is a half-day introduction to using machine learning and modelling
in football for data scientists, MSc and PhD students, and industry
professionals.
We will go through how to use logistic regression to fit an expected
goals model of quality of chances. We will also look at models of pass
success and value using other machine learning methods. By the end, you
will understand how to use football data and fit simple models to it.
This lecture will also provide an introduction to the challenges of
putting data science into practice.

PREPARATION
Before the meeting you need to set up a Python environment and download
Wyscout data. Instructions here:
https://soccermatics.readthedocs.io/en/latest/gettingstarted.html
For more information, please visit core-ai.sun.ac.za

  REGISTER: http://bit.ly/3F1o

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
www.ictp.it/research/qls.aspx
e-mail:qls at ictp.it