QLS seminar - Tuesday, 3 October 14h00: "Information and thermodynamics: optimizing information processing using underdamped systems" by Salambô Dago

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Oct 2 09:18:12 CEST 2023

Dear All,

Tomorrow, Tuesday, 3 October 2023 at 14:00 CET, Salambô Dago (Univ.
Lyon, ENS de Lyon, CNRS Lyon, France and Fac. of Physics, Univ. of
Vienna, Austria)
will give a seminar titled:*

*

*Information and thermodynamics: optimizing information processing using
underdamped systems*

*
*

*Abstract:*

  The Landauer principle states that at least kBTln2 of energy is
required to erase a 1-bit memory, with kBT the thermal energy of the
system. Practical erasure implementations re- quire an overhead to
Landauer’s Bound (LB), observed to scale as kBT × B/τ, with τ the
protocol duration and B close to the system relaxation time. Most model
experiments use overdamped systems, for which minimizing the overhead
means minimizing the dissipation. Underdamped systems thus sound
appealing to reduce this energetic cost, and are the object of this
presentation. Our experiment implements a model 1-bit memory based on a
micro-mechanical oscillator confined in a double-well potential created
by a feedback loop [1]. We measure the work and the heat of informa-
tion processing protocols within the stochastic thermodynamic framework.
Our research covers all possible operations on a single bit b: HOLD (b →
b), SET (b → 0 or 1), NOT (b → ¬b).

The logical SET operation is an erasure, logically irreversible, coming
with an entropic cost which is at least LB. We demonstrate that, in our
experiment, this bound is reached with a 1% uncertainty, with protocols
as short as 100 ms [2]. Besides, we show experimentally and
theoretically that for underdamped systems, fast erasures induce a
heating of the memory: the work influx is not instantaneously
compensated by the inefficient heat transfer to the thermostat. This
temperature rise results in a kinetic and potential energy contribution
superseding the viscous dissipation term. Our model covering all damping
regimes paves the way to new optimization strategies in information
processing [3, 4], including the implementation of more applied logic
gates performing repeated fast operations [6].

The other logical operations are reversible, and can thus in principle
be performed at no ther- modynamical cost. We implement the NOT
operation using the momentum degree of freedom in our underdamped memory
to perform a bit-flip [5]. Not bounded by any entropic cost this time,
the energetic cost of the protocol vanishes as the quality factor of the
oscillator increases, further highlighting the low energy footprint and
interest of underdamped memories.