29 November - Seminar by Sebastian Goldt at Area Science Park

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Nov 28 12:59:09 CET 2023

Tomorrow, Wed. 29 November 2024,  Sebastian Goldt (SISSA) will give a
seminar titled "The Gaussian world is not enough -- how training data
shapes neural representations"

Location: Conference Hall S39, building C1, Località Padriciano 99,
34149 Trieste

Time: 11.30am

Abstract: What do neural networks learn from their data ? We discuss
this question in two learning

paradigms: supervised classification with feed-forward networks, and
masked language
modelling with transformers. First, we give analytical and experimental
evidence for a
“distributional simplicity bias”, whereby neural networks learn
increasingly complex
distributions of their inputs. We then show that neural networks learn
from the higher-order
cumulants (HOCs) more efficiently than lazy methods, and show how HOCs
shape the learnt
features. We finally characterise the distributions that are learnt by
single- and multi-layer
transformers, and show a similar distributional simplicity bias for
masked language modelling.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary