ICTP Analysis Seminar - Wednesday 22 November, at 9:30 (CHANGE OF TIME) - VENUE: Luigi Stasi seminar room

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Nov 21 13:50:27 CET 2023

Analysis Seminar *"On the number of lower sets with fixed cardinality"*

Wednesday 22 Nov 2023, *at 09:30* *_/(PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF TIME)
/_*

VENUE: Leonardo Building - Luigi Stasi Seminar Room

Speaker: Kristina Oganesyan (Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona)

Abstract: We call a set S in N^d, d>1, a lower set if for any x in S all
the points in N^d with each coordinate being less or equal to that of x
also belong to S. Equivalently, one can think of a d-dimensional lower
set as of a union of unit cubes such that in each direction any cube
leans either on another one or on the coordinate hyperplane.

We will be interested in estimating the number p_d(n) of d-dimensional
lower sets of cardinality n. The two-sided inequality n^(1-1/d)<log
p_d(n)< C(d)n^(1-1/d) is known to be true whenever n is large enough in
terms of d. We show that if d is sufficiently small with respect to n,
then C does not depend on d, which means that log p_d(n) is up to an
absolute constant equal to n^(1-1/d).

/https://indico.ictp.it/event/10575/

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela