Today, Wed 8 November at 11:30 - seminar by Mathieu Carrière (INRIA) at the Area Scince Park campus, Basovizza

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Wed Nov 8 09:08:39 CET 2023

Dear All,

A kind reminder of the LADE seminar by Mathieu Carrière *at the
Basovizza campus*.

*Location*: Sala Sancrotti, Edificio Q2, Basovizza, SS 14, km 163,5,
Trieste, 34149

*Time*: Wednesday 8th November, 11.30am

*Speaker*: Mathieu Carrière (INRIA)

*Title*: Topological Machine Learning with Applications in Computational
Biology

*Abstract*: Topological Data Analysis (TDA) is a field of data science
that is gathering increasing attention in the recent years, due to its
ability to produce descriptors of topological flavor that (a) can be
computed on a wide range of data sets, and (b) encode a unique type of
information that is very useful yet missed by other standard
descriptors. However, integration of such descriptors in standard
machine learning pipelines is not straightforward, be it Mapper
complexes or persistent homology. In this talk, I will present the main
difficulties associated to the creation of topological machine learning
pipelines, and then I will go over the various methods and solutions
proposed over the recent years to handle these issues, including, e.g.,
topology-guided clustering and the representation of (multi-parameter)
persistent homology. I will also illustrate these methods on a few
applications from computational biology.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it