ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Tuesday 30 May, at 14:00 (Mithun Das) / VENUE: Luigi Stasi seminar room and Zoom

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Wed May 24 15:04:42 CEST 2023

_ICTP MATHEMATICS SEMINAR_

Tuesday 30 May, at 14:00

Venue: Luigi Stasi seminar room (and Zoom)

Speaker: *Mithun Das* (National Institute of Science Education and
Research (NISER), India)

Title:*The variance of a general class of multiplicative functions in
short intervals*

*
*************************

** _Register in advance for this meeting:_
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEpc-qrpjsrH9ZNpox8ieRFL_mKVul_NUTe
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

*Abstract:* In this talk, we shall discuss a general class of
multiplicative functions by relating "short averages" to its "long
average". More precisely, we shall talk about estimating the variance of
such a class of functions in short intervals asymptotically, using
Fourier analysis and counting rational points on certain binary forms.
Our result is applicable to the interesting multiplicative functions,
namely, $k$-free numbers, Euler's totient function, generalized divisor
function, and many others that establish various new results and
improvements in short intervals to the literature. This is joint work
with Pranendu Darbar.

/https://indico.ictp.it/event/10382//

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela