ICTP Dynamical Systems Seminar - Tuesday 23 May, at 16:00 - Khadim WAR

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon May 22 14:51:36 CEST 2023

_DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS SEMINAR_

Tuesday 23 May, at 16:00

Venue: Luigi Stasi seminar room (Leonardo da Vinci Building)

Speaker: Khadim War (IMPA, Rio de Janeiro)

Title: Proof of the Verjovsky Conjecture

Abstract: In the early 70's Alberto Verjovsky conjectured that every
co-dimension one Anosov flow on a manifold of dimension at least four is
topologically equivalent to a suspension over hyperbolic total
automorphism. In particular in dimension four, the conjecture says that
there exists only one topological equivalence class of Anosov flows.
This problem can be interpreted as part of one of Smale's problems:
Which manifolds can support a hyperbolic dynamical system? In this talk
we prove that this conjecture is true. Anosov flows are central examples
of chaotic systems. We will give a general overview of the different
type of Anosov flows and show how our result gives an important step
toward a more general classification. We will also discuss some
topological obstructions for a manifold to support such a system.

https://indico.ictp.it/event/10376/

All are welcome to attend.

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela