Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 13 June at 11:00am, Matteo Marinelli

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Tue May 2 14:34:26 CEST 2023

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Tuesday**, 13 June 2023, 11:00**am ***(CET)** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcqc-GsrzIiEtz9uVARPoxG1fZQVnly98_r/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Matteo Marinelli *(JILA - University of Colorado Boulder)

Title: *Towards High-Fidelity Control of Individual Qubits in Large
Atomic Arrays

*
Abstract:
In May 2021, ETH Zurich and the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI)
established the ETH-PSI Quantum Computing Hub to advance quantum
technologies. The hub brings together trapped ions and superconducting
qubits to scale current quantum platforms to larger quantum systems of
tens of qubits, exploring the synergy of different technologies. In the
first part of this talk, I will present the first room-temperature setup
we built designed for the individual control of up to 50 trapped-ion
qubits with high fidelity. This system houses a monolithic, segmented 3D
ion trap fabricated through laser-enhanced etching of fused silica and
makes use of laser-written waveguides to individually control each qubit.
In the second part, I will discuss preliminary results obtained at JILA
working with Rydberg atoms in optical tweezer arrays. The low-vibration
cryostat and a high optical access vacuum chamber enable us to develop a
novel system that leverages scalable, ultracold Rydberg atom arrays for
programmable quantum computation. The high-optical access vacuum chamber
will allow us to create and control a large array using 3D optical
lattices with site-resolved addressability and interaction control aided
by optical tweezers. We will harness a bi-chromatic magic lattice to
provide identical confinement for both ground and Rydberg states.