(DS Seminars] Next seminar: Savannah Thais (Columbia)

Rosanna Sain rosanna at ictp.it
Thu Mar 30 09:43:24 CEST 2023

Dear all,

This is just a reminder that*Savannah Thais*will come visit SISSA and
give a seminar entitled "Symmetry and Geometry in Machine Learning for
Particle Physics" on*Friday, at 9:30am in room 132*(abstract + bio below).

For those of you following on Zoom, here is the link:
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/6902850337

Savannah will be with us all day, so if you want to have a chat, let me
know!

See you all Friday,
Sebastian

*
*
Abstract: Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) have
become critical tools in many scientific research domains. Particularly,
in data and statistics heavy fields like particle physics, ML tools are
essential to meeting the computing needs of current and future
experiments and to ensuring robust data reconstruction and
interpretation. This relationship is reciprocal as well as incorporating
symmetries, conservation laws, and statistical methodologies from
physics have led to advances in state of the art ML. In this talk I will
discuss my work using geometric machine learning for data reconstruction
at the Large Hadron Collider. In particular, I will introduce ways of
incorporating symmetry conservation into graph neural networks and
present our recent studies focused on characterizing the utility of
enforced equivariance when applying ML to real world physics problems.
Additionally, I'll discuss ways that physicists are uniquely equipped to
contribute to the broader space of ML/AI research.

Bio: Dr. Savannah Thais is a Research Scientist in the Data Science
Institute at Columbia University with a focus on machine learning (ML).
She is interested in complex system modeling and in understanding what
types of information is measurable or modelable and what impacts
designing and performing measurements have on systems and societies. Her
recent work has focused on geometric deep learning, methods to
incorporate physics-based inductive biases into ML models, regulation of
emerging technology, social determinants of health, and community
education. Dr. Thais is the founder and Research Director of Community
Insight and Impact, an non-profit organization focused on data-driven
community needs assessments for vulnerable populations and effective
resource allocation. She was the ML Knowledge Convener for the CMS
Experiment from 2020-2022, currently serves on the Executive Board of
Women in Machine Learning and the Executive Committee of the APS Group
on Data Science, and is a Founding Editor of the Springer AI Ethics journal.

Il giorno mar 21 mar 2023 alle ore 21:07 Sebastian Goldt