Starting now in L. Stasi: - Special CMSP Seminar by Luis E. F. Foa Torres, 29 June, 2PM

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Thu Jun 29 14:01:11 CEST 2023

*Special CMSP Seminar*

** * * 29 June**2023, 2:00PM***** * **

In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYkdOqvrDIoHNac51PzHLSktLxTQzGWtVTf/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker:*Luis E. F. Foa Torres *(Universidad de Chile)

Title:*Surprises from electron-photon and electron-phonon interactions
in two-dimensional materials**
*

Abstract:

In this talk, I will delve into two new topics in the field of
two-dimensional (2D) materials physics: the impact of strong laser
illumination on materials with an existing topological phase, and the
interaction between electrons and chiral phonons. The first part of my
talk will explore how intense laser illumination can be used to generate
tunable spin-polarized photocurrents in the presence of spin-orbit
interaction [1], and how it can cause a switch in chirality of the edge
states in graphene when in the quantum Hall regime [2]. In the second
part, I will tackle the intriguing issue of electron-phonon interactions
with chiral phonons. The theoretical prediction [3] and subsequent
observation [4] of chiral phonons in 2D materials has added a fresh
dimension to this persistent challenge. I will present an overview of
this area, emphasizing our recent findings on the effects of
electron-chiral phonon interactions in 2D materials [5-7]. By using a
non-perturbative solution, we demonstrate that chiral phonons trigger
inelastic Umklapp processes, leading to peculiar co-propagating edge
states. Our results hint on the possibility of having new
electron-phonon states of matter.

[1] M. Berdakin, E. A. Rodriguez-Mena, and L. E. F. Foa Torres, Nano
Letters 21, 3177 (2021).
[2] A. Huaman, L. E. F. Foa Torres, C. A. Balseiro, L. E. F. Foa Torres,
Phys. Rev. Research 3, 013201 (2021).
[3] L. Zhang and Q. Niu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 115502 (2015).
[4] H. Zhu et al., Science 359, 579 (2018).
[5] J. Medina Dueñas, H. L. Calvo, L. E. F. Foa Torres, Phys. Rev. Lett.
128, 066801 (2022).
[6] J. Mella, H. L. Calvo, L. E. F. Foa Torres, to appear.
[7] For related research see https://www.foatorres.com/

--

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----