Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 11 July at 11:00 by Marzena H. Szymanska

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Wed Jun 28 11:32:30 CEST 2023

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Tuesday**, 11 July 2023, 11:00**am ***(CET)** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0tdu2tpz0oH9Tkny22wffqEBd_F7cBVTOJ/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Marzena H. Szymanska *(University College London)

Title: *Novel Non-equilibrium Phenomena in Quantum Fluids of Light*

Abstract:

Driven-dissipative quantum fluids of light, experimentally realised in
for example semiconductor microcavities, circuit or cavity QED systems,
provide a unique testbed to explore new non-equilibrium quantum
phenomena. I will review recent progress in this field. In particular,
we show that polariton quantum fluid can exhibit a non-equilibrium
order, where superfluidity is accompanied by stretched exponential decay
of correlations [1]. This celebrated Kardar-Parisi-Zhang (KPZ) phase has
not been achieved before in any system in 2D, and even 1D realisations
have not been conclusive. I will then discuss how these systems can
undergo other unconventional phase transitions and orders [2], and
display flow properties connected but distinct from conventional
superfluidity. Finally, when placed in strained honeycomb lattice
potentials, polariton fluids can condense into a rotating state, the
lowest Landau level, forming a vortex array and spontaneously breaking
time reversal symmetry [3]. Describing strong quantum correlations in
open systems with drive and dissipation, especially in two dimensions,
is a numerical challenge. I will briefly present our attempts at
developing suitable methods, based on stochastic and tensor network
approaches [4].

[1] A. Zamora et al, PRX 7, 041006 (2017); PRL 125, 265701 (2020); A.
Ferrier et al, PRB 105, 205301 (2022)

[2] G. Dagvadorj et al, PRL 130, 136001 (2023); PRB 104, 165301 (2021)

[3] C. Lledo et al, SciPost 12, 068 (2022)

[4] C. Mc Keever et al, PRX 11, 021035 (2021); P. Deuar et al, PRX
Quantum, 2, 010319 (2021)