QLS seminar: "Learning without detailed balance" - 27 June 11h00

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Jun 26 13:15:38 CEST 2023

Dear All,

On Tuesday, 27 June  2023 at 11:00 CET, Michele Vodret (CentraleSupélec,
Gif-sur-Yvette, île-de-france) will give a seminar titled:

*    Learning without detailed balance*

Abstract:
The assumption of rational traders has been the subject of a harsh
debate in theoretical economics for the past 40 years. Recent
experimental evidence gathered by cognitive neuroscientists suggests
that the way we learn in simple tasks is in stark contrast with the
rationality assumption: the way we learn is biased. Confirmation bias,
for example,
is the tendency to incorporate the information in line with our priors
and disregard the information in contrast with them.
These findings beg for an explanation. In particular, if evolution
selected such biases, they should be beneficial in some circumstances:
for example, in tasks with two asymmetric bandits, there are 'optimal
biases' which allow individuals to increase the average earned reward.
The reason for these additional gains is that biased beliefs are
magnified, allowing one to distinguish more clearly between two similar
options.
Interestingly, in these contexts, the optimal bias corresponds to a
learning dynamics that breaks detailed balance, leading, therefore, to
irreversible dynamics, even in the stationary state. We argue, by means
of analytical calculations and numerical simulations, that the optimal
bias corresponds to dynamics that maximize the entropy production in the
stationary state. In particular, in this context, the stationary state
with maximum entropy production allows agents to safely explore the
environment without being stuck in a sub-optimal belief.

_The seminar will take place in the *L. Stasi seminar room*, Leonardo
building, First floor_

__Indico webpage: https://indico.ictp.it/event/10380

You are all most welcome to attend!

Best regards,