CMSP-SISSA Atomistic Seminar by Dr. Pablo Piaggi, 3 July 11:00hrs

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Wed Jun 21 15:09:28 CEST 2023

---------------------------
CMSP-SISSA Atomistic Seminar
---------------------------

** * * Monday 3 July**2023, 11:00***** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(ICTP Leonardo Building, second
floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0vcuGqrT4oHtGPWExh6dAn5LoFDB0MLNvY/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker:*Pablo Piaggi *(Princeton University)

Title:*Understanding the crystallization of ice polymorphs from first
principles
**
*
Abstract:
The vast and complex phase diagram of water, with at least 18 different
ice polymorphs, is a rich playground for the study of crystallization.
Moreover, the equilibrium picture provided by the phase diagram is
enriched further by the possible existence of a metastable liquid-liquid
critical point at deeply supercooled conditions. Over the years,
considerable attention has been devoted to the study of water and ices,
and a vast literature has amassed on studies of this system using
molecular simulations based on empirical potentials. In spite of the
many merits of empirical models, they are often not able to describe
important physical effects, such as polarization and chemical reactions.
A possible strategy to overcome these limitations is the use of
quantum-mechanical ab initio simulations to derive the potential energy
surface and use the associated forces to drive the dynamics of the
nuclei. For many years, this strategy was severely hampered by the sheer
computational cost of direct ab initio simulations. Recently, the use of
machine learning algorithms to learn the potential energy surface has
mitigated the cost of these calculations, paving the way to more
realistic studies of many systems.  In this talk, I will discuss recent
developments on the use of first principles simulations and rare-event
techniques to study the crystallization of ice polymorphs. I will first
present results on the calculation of homogeneous ice nucleation rates
from first principles [1].  Then, I will describe the development of a
machine learning potential for the study of heterogeneous ice nucleation
at feldspar minerals, one of the most potent ice nucleating particles in
the atmosphere [2]. Afterwards, I will present evidence of the existence
of a liquid-liquid transition in ab initio water [3], and I will discuss
the exotic behavior of the melting lines of several ice polymorphs in
the vicinity of the liquid-liquid critical point [4]. I will conclude
the talk with some thoughts about how these techniques are
revolutionizing our ability to understand and predict the
crystallization of materials.

[1] Piaggi, Weis, Panagiotopoulos, Debenedetti, and Car, Proc. Natl.
Acad. Sci. 119, 33 (2022)
[2] Piaggi, Selloni, Panagiotopoulos, Car, and Debenedetti,
arXiv:2305.10255 (2023)
[3] Gartner, Piaggi, Car, Panagiotopoulos, and Debenedetti, Phys. Rev.
Lett. 129, 25 (2022)
[4] Piaggi, Gartner, Car, and Debenedetti, arXiv:2302.08540 (2023)