QLS seminar TODAY 4 July 11h00: "System 2 Applied Mathematics" by M. Chertkov

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Jul 4 09:07:23 CEST 2023

Dear All,

Today,  Tuesday, 4 July 2023 at 11:00 CET, Michael Chertkov (University
of Arizona, Tucson, USA) will give a seminar titled:

*    System 2 Applied Mathematics*

Abstract:
According to psychologist D. Kahneman (2002 Nobel prize winner in
economics for the work on decision making under uncertainty) there are
two modes/systems of thinking. System 1 operates automatically and
quickly, like deep learning empowered by automatic differentiation.
System 2 allocates attention to the effortful mental activities, like
building explainable heuristics in quantitative sciences.

In this talk we illustrate how applied mathematics is harnessing system
1 achievements of modern AI to build system 2 for quantitative sciences.
Specifically, we discuss design, training and validation of the system 2 for

1.  Physics Informed Machine Learning of Power Systems
2.  Lagrangian Large Eddy Simulations of Turbulent Flows
3.  Graphical and Agent Based Models of epidemiological bursts

_The seminar will take place in the *L. Stasi seminar room*, Leonardo
building, First floor_

__Indico webpage: https://indico.ictp.it/event/10412

You are all most welcome to attend!

Best regards,