Seminar by Valentina Bais - Reminder

ZUDDAS DANIELE dzuddas at units.it
Tue Dec 12 17:35:04 CET 2023

Dear colleagues,

this is a gentle reminder for tomorrow seminar by Dr. Valentina Bais (SISSA).

Title: An exotic structure on a non-orientable 4-manifold via Gluck twisting

Abstract: In this talk I will talk about a joint work with Rafael Torres, in which we create an exotic smooth structure on the non-orientable total space of a non-trivial 2-sphere bundle over the real projective plane, where by “exotic” we mean not equivalent to the standard smooth structure. Our procedure mimics Cappell-Shaneson’s construction of an exotic real projective 4-dimensional space, which I will sketch at the beginning of the talk as a warm up. The exotic structure we produce can also be obtained by applying a cut and paste procedure called Gluck twist to the non-orientable total space of the trivial 2-sphere bundle over the real projective plane.

When: Wednesday 13 December, 15:00.
Venue: Dipartimento di Matematica Informatica e Geoscienze
Sala Seminario, III floor, via Valerio 12/1.

Everybody is cordially invited.
Daniele Zuddas