Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 19 May at 11:00, Giuliano Giudici

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Thu Apr 27 16:42:18 CEST 2023

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Friday**, 19 May 2023, 11:00*****(CET)** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIodeyoqzkqHtd6-LeJ5SVUeFC6UbkAmvp0/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Giuliano Giudici *(LMU München)

Title: *Temporal entanglement and Trotter transitions in unitary quantum
circuits

*

Abstract:

It is a notoriously hard problem to access the long-time dynamics of a
many-body system after a global quench with tensor network methods, due
to the linear growth of entanglement with time.

In this talk, I will revisit a clever approach that attempts to overcome
this limitation by approximating correlation functions on infinite
systems with matrix product states (MPSs) in the temporal direction.

I will provide non-trivial examples of strictly discrete dynamics where
this MPS approximation becomes efficient (and even exact in some
cases!), allowing one to compute expectation values of local observables
for arbitrarily long times.

Finally, I will discuss how the infinite-time steady state of this
discrete dynamics connects to the time-continuum limit, and establish
the emergence of sharp transitions as the Trotter step is varied.