Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 18 May at 14:00, Khadijeh Najafi

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Thu Apr 27 16:03:10 CEST 2023

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Thursday**, 18 May 2023, 14:00*****(CET)** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUkdu2qrDoiHNCqrg_09BiB97PgPalbUfWx/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Khadijeh Najafi *(IBM Quantum)

Title: *Detecting central charge in a superconducting quantum processor
*

Abstract:

Physical systems at the continuous phase transition point exhibit
conformal symmetry rendering local scaling invariance. In two
dimensions, the conformal group possesses infinite generators described
by Virasoro algebra with an essential parameter known as a central
charge. While the central charge manifests itself in a variety of
quantities, its detection in experimental setup remains elusive.

In this work, we utilize Shannon-Renyi entropy on a local basis of a
one-dimensional quantum spin chain at a critical point. We first use a
simulated variational quantum eigen solver to prepare the ground state
of the critical transfer field Ising model and XXZ model with open and
periodic boundary conditions and perform local Pauli X and Z basis
measurements. Using error mitigation such as probabilistic error
cancellation, we extract an estimation of the local Pauli observables
needed to determine the Shannon-Renyi entropy with respect to subsystem
size. Finally, we obtain the central charge in the sub-leading term of
Shannon-Renyi entropy.