Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 16 May at 14:00am, Biagio Lucini

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Tue Apr 18 08:33:32 CEST 2023

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Tuesday**, 16 May 2023, 14:00*****(CET)** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUkdOutqj0iG9H9fcWdUNJ00tbZQki9Od50/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Biagio Lucini *(Swansea University)

Title: *Investigating phase transitions with machine learning methods

*
Abstract:
Phase transitions occur in a variety of settings and situations in
particle physics, condensed matter and statistical mechanics. The
traditional approach to phase transitions, based on elegant principles
such as scaling and universality, assumes some basic a priori knowledge
of the physical system, in particular of the Hamiltonian and its
underlying symmetries. While this information is usually given for
granted, a data-driven approach has wider applicability. In this talk, I
will present some applications of machine learning starting from
Monte-Carlo generated data for phase transitions in simple (but far from
trivial!) statistical and quantum field theoretical systems. More in
details, I will discuss (a) identification of symmetries; (b)
constructions of order parameters; and (c) precise determination of
critical temperature and critical exponents. I will conclude showing how
machine learning can be used to invert a renormalisation group flow.