Geometry Seminar - Dipartimento di Matematica e Geoscienze - Università di Trieste

mattia mecchia mmecchia at units.it
Fri Sep 30 09:10:16 CEST 2022

*UNIVERSITA’ DEGLI STUDI DI TRIESTE
DIPARTIMENTO DI MATEMATICA E GEOSCIENZE

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT
*
Wednesday, October 5, 2022, at 11:30.

*Prof. Alessia Cattabriga * (Università di Bologna) will give a seminar
on  "Plat presentation for links in 3-manifolds"

Abstract: In 1976 Joan Birman described the moves that connect two plat
presentations of equivalent links in the ordinary space. The description
relies on a subgroup of the braid group on a even number of strands,
studied by Hilden the year before and named, after him, Hilden group or
wicket group. In these talk, after recalling this classical picture,
I'll present a generalization of Birman's work for links in 3-manifolds
presented via Heegaard splittings. Then I'll focus on the cases with
Heegaard genus 1 and  2. These results are  joint works with  Boštjan
Gabrovšek, University of Lubiana, and Paolo Cavicchioli, University of
Modena and Reggio Emilia.

Venue:  the seminar will take place at the Seminar Room of the
Department (Sezione di Matematica e Informatica, H2bis building, Via
Valerio 12/1, 3rd floor, room 334).

Everyone interested is welcome to attend.
Best regards,

--

*Mattia Mecchia*
Professore associato | Associate Professor
mmecchia at units.it
Tel.| Ph. +39-0405582645
Skype: mmecchia33
http://www.dmi.units.it/~mecchia/