STI Seminar IN PERSON & online: Tuesday. 6 September 2022 at 3 pm (Rome time)

STI Secretariat sti at ictp.it
Mon Sep 5 11:01:12 CEST 2022

_____________

STI seminar
___________

You are most cordially invited to a seminar organized by the ICTP
Science Technology and Innovation Unit (STI Unit)

** * * Tuesday, 6 September 2022 at 15:00 (Rome/CEST time) *** * *

*- in person: Fibonacci Lecture Room, ICTP Galileo Guesthouse, entrance
level

- via Zoom: Link to advanced
registrationhttps://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUtf-GsrT4oGNfSqZQwev-izOAh_FVpFubT/
/After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the seminar.

Speaker: *Saifollah RASOULI, *Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic
Sciences (IASBS), Zanjan, Iran

Title:***Radial carpet and combined half-integer Bessel-like beams:
generation, properties, and applications*

_Abstract_
Structured beams, whose intensity, phase, or polarization profiles have
very complex structures, are attracting major attention and presenting
various applications in many areas of optics. We have recently reported
the observation of a new class of accelerating, self-healing,
non-diffracting, and shape invariant beams, have numerous phase
anomalies and unprecedented patterns, and can be feasibly tuned. In the
diffraction of a plane wave from radial amplitude/phase gratings such
beams are generated, and due to the beauty and structural complexity of
the generated beams, we named them “radial carpet beams” (RCBs). In this
talk, a report on the recent studies we have done on the RCBs will be
presented. In the diffraction of a plane wave from an amplitude radial
grating we have shown that the boundaries of geometric shadow, near- and
far-field diffraction regimes to be curved. It is also shown that the
Talbot carpet can be generated at the transverse plane in the
diffraction of a plane wave from an amplitude radial grating. In
addition, we introduce "diffraction-based rainbow" in the diffraction of
a collimated white light wavefront from a radial grating, and formation
of colorful radial Talbot carpet at the transverse plane is also
investigated. An exceptional sample for the spectrum-invariant
propagation is also presented. An azimuthally-modified linear phase
grating is also introduced and generation of varied radial carpet beams
over the different diffraction orders with controlled intensity sharing
among the generated beams is presented. Existence of the self-imaging in
the polar coordinates for the azimuthally periodic Bessel-based
structures is proved. We also consider a family of solutions of the
homogeneous free-space scalar wave equation, and we named them “combined
half-integer Bessel-like beams” which are determined by linear
combinations of the half-integer order Bessel functions. It is shown
that, this family of beams satisfies a “radial structured” boundary
condition at z = 0 plane, therefore they can be produced by the
diffraction of a plane wave from suitable “radial structures.” The use
of RCBs for "multiple particle trapping" is presented. This type of
trapping is very versatile, yet cheap and simple. We also investigate
and compare the propagation of Laguerre-Gaussian (LG) and RCBs through
an indoor convective air turbulence and atmospheric turbulence under
weak to strong turbulence conditions. We show that, under the same
turbulence conditions, the RCB experiences less disturbance and is more
resilient to the turbulence, especially when it has a complicated
structure. It is also shown that a set of RCBs having different values
of the main intensity spots can be used as an orthogonal bases for the
free-space optical communication. Finally, the strength of the
self-healing of RCBs is quantified in terms of the beams’ specifications.

--
Nicoletta Ivanissevich (Ms.)
Secretariat,

Phone: +39-040-2240.383