REMINDER - ICTP Basic Notions Seminar - Thursday, 13 October, at 16:00 (Micah B. Milinovich)/hybrid seminar

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Thu Oct 13 11:24:41 CEST 2022

ICTP BASIC NOTIONS SEMINARS 2022

Thursday, 13 October, at 16:00

Hybrid seminar

Venue: for in-person attendees (Leonardo da Vinci, Luigi Stasi seminar
room).

For virtual attendees:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUrdemorzkrGNzSiwZP6ruorx2JnVxwd1zm

Register in advance for this meeting:

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

Speaker: Micah B. Milinovich (University of Mississippi)

Title: An introduction to the Riemann Hypothesis and Gaps between Primes

Abstract: There is a beautiful connection between the prime numbers and
the zeros of Riemann zeta-function in the complex plane, and
understanding the distribution of these zeros can lead to remarkable
consequences in our understanding of the primes. A famous open problem,
known as the Riemann Hypothesis, states that the non-real zeros of the
Riemann zeta-function lie on a vertical line. I will motivate this
conjecture, describe some evidence for it, and describe some of the
consequences it would lead to in our understanding of the primes. In
particular, I will describe how to bound on the maximum gap between
prime numbers assuming the Riemann Hypothesis (which is based on joint
work with Carneiro and Soundararajan).

https://indico.ictp.it/event/10079/