CMSP Seminar IN PERSON, 1 December at 11:30am, Prof. Vincenzo Savona

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Wed Nov 9 12:58:38 CET 2022

-------------
CMSP Seminar
-------------

** * * Thursday**, 1 December 2022, 11:30**am * * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
*
/Zoom registration link:
/https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEqf-2tqDojGtSZE_pJ_IRLuBCKOrPxSiJd
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEqf-2tqDojGtSZE_pJ_IRLuBCKOrPxSiJd&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1668422095845310&usg=AOvVaw1R-0BdA9EqCb2SrA8q8xmC>**

Speaker: *Vincenzo Savona *(Center for Quantum Science and Engineering,
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland)

Title: *The critical cat code: Quantum error suppression through a
dissipative phase transition

*
Abstract:
The main limitation to large-scale quantum computing are quantum errors,
inevitably produced by the interaction with the environment. Similar to
errors in classical computers, the main strategy to correct quantum
errors is redundancy, which is realized by encoding the state of a
logical qubit onto a subspace of the state-space of a larger quantum
system. In textbook quantum error correction, the larger space is
provided by a set of several physical qubits. The most promising
alternative to this standard are bosonic quantum codes. In a bosonic
code, a logical qubit is encoded onto a subspace of the state space of
the quantum harmonic oscillator. The Schrödinger's cat bosonic code is
arguably the most promising of these codes. Here, I will give a
pedagogical introduction to bosonic quantum codes and to the cat code in
particular. I will then illustrate the link between bosonic codes and
dissipative phase transitions. I will conclude by presenting our recent
results on a novel regime of operation of the cat code, where the
vicinity of a first-order dissipative phase transition, with spontaneous
symmetry breaking, enables a considerably improved performance in
quantum error suppression, and opens the way to the design and
demonstration of the first multi-qubit quantum gates on boson-encoded
qubits.

----

CMSP Seminars support:OnlineCMSP at ictp.it

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----