REMINDER: ICTP Algebraic Geometry Seminar - Wednesday 2 November, at 16:00 (Aline Zanardini)/hybrid

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Wed Nov 2 10:57:47 CET 2022

*_ICTP Algebraic Geometry Seminar_*

Wednesday, 2 November, at 16:00 (Central European Time)

This is a hybrid event, so people interested in taking part in the event
can do so
in person (venue:  Luigi Stasi seminar room, ICTP Leonardo Da Vinci
Building), or
via zoom registration link:

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJApfu-orDgrGdG_VyGzp6j3l4divqy-hAbt
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

Speaker: Aline Zanardini (University of Leiden)

The talk is divided in 2 parts, the 1st part is for more general audience
and the 2nd part is on current research.

_*Part 1: What is GIT? Why pencils of plane curves?*_

Abstract: I plan to first give a quick introduction to geometric
invariant theory (GIT) as well as to describe what my motivation is for
studying the problem that I will discuss in Part 2.

_*Part 2: On the GIT stability of pencils of plane curves*_

Abstract: In the second part of the talk, I will present a possible
approach to the problem of classifying pencils of plane curves up to
projective equivalence via geometric invariant theory. In particular, I
will explain how the stability of a pencil is related to the stability of
its generators, to the log canonical threshold, and to the
multiplicities of a base point. And I will also discuss some relevant
examples.

/https://indico.ictp.it/event/10108//

--

Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela