2 climate seminar announcements

Adrian Tompkins tompkins at ictp.it
Mon May 9 11:26:35 CEST 2022

May 10 April 2022  3:30 pm CET

Elizabeth Barnes
Associate Professor of Atmospheric Science at Colorado State University
https://sites.google.com/view/barnesgroup-csu/home

"Viewing Anthropogenic Change Through an AI Lens"

Abstract
Humans are vastly modifying the earth system, with identifiable impacts
across the land surface, ocean and atmosphere. Here, we will explore
three example applications of how explainable AI (XAI) techniques can
help us visualize and quantify these changes over time. First, we will
demonstrate how we can utilize XAI methods to quantify the footprint of
human activity across the global land surface in near-real time. Second,
we will demonstrate the utility of XAI for extracting forced climate
patterns through time amidst a sea of climate noise and model
disagreement. Third, we will show how XAI can help us better understand
and predict temporal variations in decadal warming trends. All three
parts of this talk serve as examples of how viewing our climate through
an AI lens has the power to uncover new insights into anthropogenic
change - allowing scientists to ask "why?" but now with the power of
machine learning.

Sign up and log in information at the following link:
https://www.ictp.it/research/esp/seminar-series-2022.aspx

Thursday 12 May 2022 - 14:30 CET
University of Trento.
Lecture Room 1P - DICAM Via Mesiano, 77 - Trento

also available online:
https://unitn.zoom.us/j/89320261999
Meeting ID: 893 2026 1999
Passcode: 824133

Salvatore Pascale
Department of Physics and Astrophysics
University of Bologna

"Present and future monsoon dynamics: the case of the North American
monsoon"

Abstract
Understanding the response of monsoon dynamics to climate forcing is
crucial for anticipating future shifts in freshwater availability across
the global tropics and subtropics. Regional monsoons can have very
different behaviors as they are  influenced in unique ways by land-ocean
position, orography and altitude.    This makes this task hard as
differences can generate different responses across regional monsoons.
In this talk I will present the case of the North American monsoon,
which is the smallest and least understood of all regional monsoons. I
will discuss expected possible impacts of climate change and aspects of
its dynamics which are still not completely understood, like for example
recent results which show the mechanical forcing of the North American
monsoon by orography.

--
Adrian Tompkins          | Earth System Physics
+39 040 2240579 (office) | ICTP