3 QLS seminars - 18, 19 and 21 July

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Fri Jul 15 09:20:04 CEST 2022

Next week, the QLS section will host 3 seminars in person.

All seminars will be held in the Common Area, Second floor, old SISSA
building, Via Beirut, 2

*
**Monday, 18 July at 11:00*

Speaker:  Daniel Segre' (Boston U.)

Title: Metabolic interactions in natural and synthetic microbial communities

Abstract:
Metabolism operates as a multiscale process that induces interactions
between microbial species and leads to division of labor and
cross-feeding in complex microbial communities. By combining dynamic
flux balance modeling with diffusion equations, we model the
spatio-temporal dynamics of communities in complex environments,
starting from the genomes of individual species. We envisage that these
approaches will be increasingly valuable for understanding natural
communities (e.g., ocean and soil consortia), and for guiding targeted
synthetic ecology experiments with artificial communities that can be
used both as benchmark for our models and as avenues for environmental
remediation and metabolic engineering.

Indico: https://indico.ictp.it/event/10011/

*
Tuesday, 19 July at 14:00

*Speaker: Juan MR Parrondo (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)

Title: Two notes on the foundations of statistical mechanics:
objectivity and the origin of giant fluctuations

Abstract:
Boltzmann’s explanation of irreversibility is based on the concept of
macro-states and the definition of entropy as the logarithm of the
volume in phase space of the region of micro-states compatible with a
given macro-state. The explanation, however, lacks an objective (i.e.
non arbitrary) definition of macro-states and of the crossover between
micro- and macro-scales. Here we show that this problem can be solved by
reformulating Boltzmann’s explanation in terms of observables relaxing
from giant fluctuations. We show that the irreversible behavior of an
observable is a fully objective property and has nothing to do with its
micro- or macroscopic nature. In fact, we will show a situation where a
system exhibits irreversibility at the micro-scale and reversibility at
the macro-scale. In the second part of the talk, we propose a mechanism
for creating giant fluctuations of an observable (hence,
irreversibility) based on metastable states induced by symmetry breaking.

*
Thursday, 21 July at 11:00

*Speaker: Farzan Vafa (Harvard University, Center of Mathematical
Sciences and Applications)

Title: Diffusive growth sourced by topological defects

Abstract:
In this talk, we develop a minimal model of morphogenesis of a surface
where the dynamics of the intrinsic geometry is diffusive growth sourced
by topological defects. We show that a positive (negative) defect can
dynamically generate a cone (hyperbolic cone). We analytically explain
features of the growth profile as a function of position and time, and
predict that in the presence of a positive defect, a bump forms with
height profile h(t) ~ t^(1/2) for early times t. To incorporate the
effect of the mean curvature, we exploit the fact that for axisymmetric
surfaces, the extrinsic geometry can be deduced entirely by the
intrinsic geometry. We find that the resulting stationary geometry, for
polar order and small bending modulus, is a deformed football.
We apply our framework to various biological systems. In an ex-vivo
setting of cultured murine neural progenitor cells, we show that our
framework is consistent with the observed cell accumulation at positive
defects and depletion at negative defects. In an in-vivo setting, we
show that the defect configuration consisting of a bound +1 defect
state, which is stabilized by activity, surrounded by two -1/2 defects
can create a stationary ring configuration of tentacles, consistent with
observations of a basal marine invertebrate Hydra.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it