ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Thursday 7 July, at 16:00 (Damien Thomine )

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Jul 4 16:50:25 CEST 2022

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2022

Thursday 7 July, at 16:00 hrs.

Speaker: Damien Thomine (Université Paris-Sud)

Title: Probabilistic potential theory for dynamical systems

Abstract: Probabilistic potential theory relates Markov chains and
harmonic functions. It offers the tools to compute, for instance, the
probability that a random walk hits a specified target before another;
or, thinking in terms of open systems, that the walk leaves the space at
a specified point.

We adapt those results to dynamical systems. Our aim is to estimate, in
a spatially periodic hyperbolic system, the probability of hitting a
specified target before another. This work involves tools from potential
theory (specifically, a balayage identity), transfer operators with
spectral degeneracies, and perturbative arguments.

_*VENUE:*_  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building,
first floor)

--

Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela