CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series): 16 February at 4:30pm, Prof. Clyde A. Daly Jr.

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Wed Feb 9 11:16:02 CET 2022

Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series

_
WEBINAR_

via Zoom

** * * Wednesday, 16 February 2022 at 4:30pm*** * **

Speaker:*Clyde A. Daly Jr.* (Haverford College, U.S.A.)

Title:***Modeling Complex Phenomena with Machine Learning and Molecular
Dynamics
*

Register in advance at:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwrc-GrrTovEtFdbsZp9-GM9GPmKDYcYRup
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the seminar.

_Abstract_:

Many complex macroscopic phenomena have their origins in microscopic,
molecule and atom level interactions. Using techniques like molecular
dynamics and machine learning, connections can be made between these two
scales of observation. In this talk, I will showcase the power of these
techniques in four cases. First, the solvation properties of carbon
dioxide in ionic liquids are examined using one dimensional and two
dimensional infrared spectroscopy. Second, the structure of the hydrated
proton is elucidated by combining molecular dynamics with infrared and
Raman spectroscopy. Third, molecular dynamics is used to examine the
behavior of nanoparticles when interacting with biomolecules. Fourth,
machine learning is used to develop design rules for creating
sustainable nanotechnologies. In my new position at Haverford College, I
am extending these techniques to study more complex related systems.

----

CMSP Seminars support:OnlineCMSP at ictp.it

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----