Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar IN PERSON, 17 January at 11:30am, Ginestra Bianconi

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Tue Dec 6 14:27:33 CET 2022

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Tuesday**, 17 January 2023, 11:30**am * * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
*
**
/Zoom:
/https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ
<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Ginestra Bianconi *(Queen Mary University of London)

Title: *The Dirac operator and the dynamics of topological sign

*
Abstract:
Topological signals associated not only to nodes but also to links and
to the higher dimensional simplices of simplicial complexes are
attracting increasing interest in machine learning and network science.
However, little is known about the collective dynamical phenomena
involving topological signals. In this talk, I will introduce the Hodge
Laplacian  and the topological Dirac operator that can be used to
process simultaneously topological signals of different dimensions.  I
will discuss the main spectral properties of the Dirac operator defined
on networks and simplicial complexes. I will present the topological
Dirac equation in which the spinor has a geometrical interpretation and
is defined on both nodes and links of the network and the potential
implications of this model.   I will show that topological signals
treated with the Hodge Laplacians or with the Dirac operator can undergo
collective synchronization phenomena displaying different types of
critical phenomena. The coherent state of these processes are localized
on the higher-dimensional cavities of the simplicial complex opening new
perspectives to characterize the interplay between topology and dynamics.

----

CMSP Seminars support:OnlineCMSP at ictp.it

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----