REMINDER: next week - CIMPA-ICTP Math Courses 2022 - From Monday 5 December to Thursday 8 December at 14:00 (Gebrie)/hybrid seminar

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Fri Dec 2 12:53:22 CET 2022

CIMPA/ICTP MATH COURSES  2022

Hybrid Course on:

Introduction to Optimization and Operator Theory

This is a recurring zoom meeting, therefore please register just once
for all 4 sessions:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUodOihqDMvE9fOe6s-MziaNCKeZeoaVSDt

Timetable and venue (for those attending in person):

Monday 5 December:   14:00 - 16:00 - Stasi Seminar Room
Tuesday 6 December:  14:00 - 16:00 - Stasi Seminar Room
Wednesday 7 December: 14:00 - 16:00 - Stasi Seminar Room
Thursday 8 December: 14:00 - 16:00 - Stasi Seminar Room

Title: Introduction to Optimization and Operator Theory

Speaker: GEBRIE Anteneh Getachew (Debre Berhan University)

Abstract: An introductory lecture on operator and optimization theory
will be given. To be specific, various notions of derivatives for
mappings between Normed spaces will be discussed, with a special
emphasis on mappings taking values in R connecting derivatives with
optimization problems. We discuss the continuity, lower semicontinuity,
differentiability, and, most importantly, optimization properties of
convex functions in normed spaces. We will also go over the Fenchel
conjugate and biconjugate for convex functions, as well as their
properties. With these tools at our disposal, we move on to the duality
methods in optimization, which allows us to solve unconstrained and
constrained minimization problems (called the primal) by relating them
to their dual problems obtained via the Fenchel conjugate. Finally,
after discussing the Moreau proximity operator in Hilbert spaces, we
will look at a popular class of optimization algorithms.