David Thompson (CSU/UEA) - 26 April 2022 3:30 pm CET

Adrian Tompkins tompkins at ictp.it
Thu Apr 21 12:13:15 CEST 2022

Can I send out this announcement please?

*Seminar Announcement*

_April 26 April 2022  3:30 pm CET_
*
*
*David Thompson
*/Professor at Colorado State University and University of East Anglia/
https://atmos.colostate.edu/~davet/*
* <https://atmos.colostate.edu/~davet/>

*"*Understanding the Processes that Drive Surface Temperature Variability*"*

_Abstract_
In this talk I will provide highlights of two different - but
overlapping - research topics. Both relate to the processes that drive
surface temperature variability.

In the first part I will focus on the role of ocean dynamics in driving
sea-surface temperature variability. The key conclusion is that ocean
dynamics act - in the net - to damp rather than drive low-frequency SST
variability. The upshot is that the observed decadal variability - such
as that associated with Atlantic decadal variability and the Pacific
Decadal Oscillation - can not be traced to ocean processes.

In the second part I will focus on changes in temperature persistence
under climate change. Here the key finding is that temperature
persistence is certain to change across the globe, but that the signs of
the changes depend critically on various physical processes. I will
argue that one key but overlooked process is the changes in radiative
damping timescales under climate change.

_Bio_
David Thompson is Professor in the School of Environmental Sciences at
the University of East Anglia in the UK. He retains a joint appointment
as a Professor in the Department of Atmospheric Science at Colorado
State University in the US. He joined CSU in 2001 and UEA in 2021. His
research foci lie in the area of large-scale climate variability, with
an emphasis on using observations to identify novel aspects of the
climate system, and then using models to test hypotheses motivated by
observations.

Sign up and log in information at the following link:
https://www.ictp.it/research/esp/seminar-series-2022.aspx