This week: 2 QLS seminars (in person) on Tuesday and Wednesday

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Apr 4 09:15:57 CEST 2022

Dear All,

This week, the QLS section is hosting TWO SEMINARS (in person)in the
Common Area, 2nd floor, ex SISSA Building, via Beirut, 2

You are all most cordially invited to attend!

  * On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 at 15h00 Cesare Nardini (CEA-Saclay,
    France) will give a seminar in presence titled:

*"Phase separation in active matter systems"*

Abstract:
The field of active matter studies materials composed of self-propelled
entities, which can be either biological or synthetic. Examples of such
materials stretch across length-scales, from nanorobots to humans, and
provide a unique plethora of collective behaviors that are inaccessible
in equilibrium materials, ranging from highly ordered bird flocks to
phase separation in absence of any attraction among particles. The role
of theoretical research in active matter is thus not only to explain
natural phenomena but also to deliver robust models that allow to unveil
which novel phenomenology we should expect.

The talk will start with a brief overview of active matter and of my
recent contributions to it. I will then focus on phase separation in
active systems. This is one of the most fundamental collective phenomena
arising at high density, and it takes place in systems as diverse as
bacterial suspensions and biological tissues. I will show that much
understanding can be drawn by generalising the classical field
theoretical description of liquid-liquid phase separation (Model B, or
phi^4 theory) to an active context. After discussing the thermodynamics
of such model, I will show that activity induces phase separated phases
that have qualitatively new features with respect to those encountered
in passive systems. This surprising fact can be rationalised by
generalising the concept of interfacial tension, crucial in passive
phase separation, to an active context. Next, we will ask how to control
these new forms of phase separation in terms of microscopically tunable
parameters; although this question is still largely open, I will
describe the recent progresses we made by studying minimal models of
active particles.

Indico page https://indico.ictp.it/event/9914/

*************************************************************************************************************************

  * On Wednesday, 6 April 2022 at 15h00 Iuri Macocco (SISSA) will give a
    seminar in presence titled:

*"**An intrinsic dimension estimator for discrete-metric spaces:
formalization and first applications**”*

Abstract:
Real world datasets characterised by discrete features are ubiquitous:
 From categorical surveys to clinical questionnaires, from unweighted
networks to genomic strands. Nonetheless, the development of methods to
treat data with discrete features lags behind, particularly concerning
geometric and manifold learning approaches. Due to the lack of such
tools, the analysis of aforementioned dataset still relies on algorithms
developed for continuous spaces, inevitably introducing approximations,
error and biases. In this work, starting from the appropriate definition
of volumes on lattices, we develop a very simple, yet effective, routine
to estimate the intrinsic dimension of datasets naturally described by
discrete metric spaces. Besides, our id estimator allows to explicitly
select the scale at which the id is computed, an important property that
is hardly provided even in estimators for continuous spaces. We assess
the validity of the new estimator on artificial datasets against a state
of the art continuous estimator and then apply it to a controlled-id
spin system as well as to an ensemble of genomic sequences

Indico page https://indico.ictp.it/event/9921/

Best regards,

Erica

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
www.ictp.it/research/qls.aspx
e-mail:qls at ictp.it