Condensed Matter Seminar (News&Views series): Thursday 30 Sept 2021 at 11:00 am

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Mon Sep 27 10:54:16 CEST 2021

--

Virtual - Zoom Meeting

CMSP News & Views Seminar
/
/The News & Views Seminars are meant to address our section as a whole,
and therefore include an extensive pedagogical introduction to the
topic, and present the main physical ideas of the research in a way
understandable by everybody in the section. The goal is to bridge
distances among different subgroups of our diverse CMSP section. //The
diversity in our section makes it a unique place for crossing bridges
among different topics, and for cross-fertilization among seemingly
distant fields. /
*
*
** * * Thursday, 30 September 2021 at 11:00 a.m.*** * **

Speaker: *Emilio Artacho*
(University of Cambridge, UK,  and NanoGUNE, Donostia/San Sebastián, Spain)

Title: *Theory and simulation of electronic stopping of nuclear
projectiles traversing matter *

Register in advance at:

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcucuyrqD0jH9KJw7_cxnYhgTmoSt48BWnw

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the seminar.

_Abstract_:

Nuclei shooting through matter transfer energy to the electrons along
its trajectory at rates of up to keV per Angstrom. This rate depends on
the projectile velocity, peaking when this velocity is similar to
average electron velocities in the system, typically around two to five
percent of the speed of light. Because of its interest to radiation
damage in various contexts (mostly nuclear, aerospace, and medical), the
problem hasbeen studied for over a century, but surprisingly there is
still a lot to be learned about the microscopic processes taking place
beyond what obtained from perturbative approaches. The reason is that,
although it is a quite fundamental, general, unsophisticated problem
(charged point particles moving through condensed matter), it is
strongly non-adiabatic and very strongly far from equilibrium. It is
also nanoscopic (around the projectile) and of quantum nature.

I will present our efforts in advancing our understanding of such
processes by means of simulations based on time-dependent
density-functional theory in real time, but also some notes on
theoretical and methodological advances prompted by the problem. In
particular, a Floquet formulation for constant-velocity projectiles
traveling along periodic directions in solids, as well as, time
permitting, on geometrical aspects of dealing with quantum evolution in
an evolving Hilbert space, which we had to face given our use of atomic
orbitals as basis sets.

----

CMSP Seminars support:OnlineCMSP at ictp.it

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----