CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series): Friday 24 September 2021 at 11 am

OnlineCMSP OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Wed Sep 22 11:21:27 CEST 2021

Virtual - Zoom Meeting

CMSP Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series
/
/
* * * *Friday, 24 September 2021 at 11:00 a.m.**(Rome time)* * * *

Speaker: *Alaa Mohammed Idris Bakhit (*MPC - Materials Physics Center,
Donostia/San Sebastian, Spain)

Title: *Raman frequencies of diamond under non-hydrostatic pressure*

Register in advance at:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcvduutrDooGNBJpVJCRE7Z-LcEl51x5Akl

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the seminar.

Abstract:

The Raman frequencies of diamond subjected to non-hydrostatic uniaxial
stress along the [001] and [111] crystallographic axes have been
calculated with density-functional-theory methods and the results fitted
to a simple analytical form. The data are analyzed in the context of the
recently proposed use of the shift of the high-frequency edge of the
Raman band of diamond as a pressure scale in diamond-anvil cell
experiments. Combining theoretical and experimental data we are able to
determine the stress state of the diamond anvil in ultra-high-pressure
experiments. We find that shear stresses close to the tip of the anvil
can reach values exceeding 1 Mbar.

----

CMSP Seminars support:OnlineCMSP at ictp.it

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----