Geometries at SISSA seminar

Antonio Lerario lerario at sissa.it
Wed Oct 20 10:03:15 CEST 2021

Dear All,

this is to announce our first seminar from the series "Geometries at SISSA".

The purpose of this series is to present topics in modern geometry in a way
that is accessible to a broad audience, in a colloquium style seminar. (The
list of the forthcoming seminars is available here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HQOOFwqQ9VRbIcZINinS1W_kjD8xasOaePrxCZqpoKo/edit?usp=sharing>
.)
After the seminar we will also go to get dinner together, please sign up
here <https://forms.gle/xcP2KaEkSPf7ZGGLA>.
Everyone is welcome to join!

Our first speaker will be Bruno Martelli
<https://people.dm.unipi.it/martelli/> (UNIPI).

-----
Speaker: Bruno Martelli (UNIPI)
Title: The geometrisation of 3-manifolds

Time: October 27, 5pm (Rome time)
Venue: room A005, SISSA main building
(from remote at this link https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/86574806499)

Abstract: We will describe the geometrisation of three-manifolds,
conjectured by Thurston in the early 80s and proved by Perelman twenty
years later. The geometrisation theorem asserts that every 3-manifold
decomposes into canonical pieces, each of which admits a particularly nice
Riemannian metric. We will explain the precise meaning of this theorem,
including the words "decomposes", "canonical pieces", and "particularly
nice".
At the end we will briefly discuss the (yet mostly unknown) role of
hyperbolic geometry in dimension higher than 3.