QLS seminar by Alec Boyd via Zoom on 19 October 2021 at 14:00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences Section qls at ictp.it
Mon Oct 11 09:43:37 CEST 2021

Dear All,

On Tuesday, 19 October at 14:00 CET, Dr Alec Boyd (University of
California, Davis) will give a webinar titled:

"Thermodynamic Machine Learning through Maximum Work Production"

Abstract:
Adaptive systems—such as a biological organism gaining survival
advantage, an autonomous robot executing a functional task, or a motor
protein transporting intracellular nutrients—must model the regularities
and stochasticity in their environments to take full advantage of
thermodynamic resources. Analogously, but in a purely computational
realm, machine learning algorithms estimate models to capture
predictable structure and identify irrelevant noise in training data.
This happens through optimization of performance metrics, such as model
likelihood. If physically implemented, is there a sense in which
computational models estimated through machine learning are physically
preferred? We introduce the thermodynamic principle that work production
is the most relevant performance metric for an adaptive physical agent
and compare the results to the maximum-likelihood principle that guides
machine learning. Within the class of physical agents that most
efficiently harvest energy from their environment, we demonstrate that
an efficient agent’s model explicitly determines its architecture and
how much useful work it harvests from the environment. We then show that
selecting the maximum-work agent for given environmental data
corresponds to finding the maximum-likelihood model. This establishes an
equivalence between nonequilibrium thermodynamics and dynamic learning.
In this way, work maximization emerges as an organizing principle that
underlies learning in adaptive thermodynamic systems.

Indico: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9719/

Zoom Meeting ID to attend the online seminar: 475-819-702

Join Zoom Meeting:https://zoom.us/j/475819702 <https://zoom.us/j/475819702>

If you haven't registered for previous QLS webinars, please contact
qls at ictp.it to obtain the password for this zoom meeting.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary