Invitation to online seminar Matthias Wollenhaupt, University of Oldenburg, Germany on "Multiphoton Ionization with Shaped Femtosecond Laser Pulses"

ICTP/director director at ictp.it
Mon Oct 4 09:46:15 CEST 2021

*/On behalf of Prof. Alfonso Franciosi, President and Chief Executive
Officer of Elettra-Sincrotrone Trieste, we wish to extend this
invitation to your scientific community/*

You are most cordially invited to the online seminar of Matthias
Wollenhaupt, University of Oldenburg, Germany on "Multiphoton Ionization
with Shaped Femtosecond Laser Pulses" onThursday 7 October at 10:00 am
CET (Ref.  Kevin Prince).

Link to connect to the videoconference:

*https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83096936794?pwd=SDI4TXNlemtOcFhNNUFJakRYOXhOUT09*

We look forward to seeing you online!

With best regards,

Office of the Chief Executive Officer, Elettra-Sincrotrone Trieste

**

*Abstract***

In this talk, we give a brief introduction to frequency-domain
femtosecond pulse shaping and applications for coherent control of
perturbative and non-perturbative multiphoton ionization (MPI) of atoms
and small molecules. An overview of some of our work can be found in [1].

We begin our discussion of coherent control with established pulse
shapes such as phase-locked double- and multipulse sequences as well as
chirped pulses. More advanced pulse shapes are presented including the
generalized spectral step function and Airy pulses. In our recent
experiments we sculpture multichromatic fields from a
carrier-envelope-phase stable over-octave spanning white light
supercontinuum by spectral amplitude and phase modulation. Using
additional broadband polarizers and lambda plates in our pulse shaper we
achieve fully polarization-tailored multichromatic fields.

Applications of the shaped pulses in atomic and molecular MPI include
the manipulation of dressed states [2], control of coupled
electron-nuclear dynamics [3], spin-orbit [4] and Rydberg [5] wave
packet dynamics along with directional photoemission [6] and the
generation of free electron vortices with even [7] and odd [8] numbered
rotational symmetry.

[1] K. Eickhoff, L. Englert, T. Bayer and M. Wollenhaupt, Front. Phys.
*9*,675258 (2021)
[2] T. Bayer, M. Wollenhaupt, H. Braun and T. Baumert, Adv. Chem. Phys.
*159, *235–282 (2016)
[3] T. Bayer, H. Braun, C. Sarpe, R. Siemering, P. von den Hoff, R. de
Vivie-Riedle, T. Baumert and M. Wollenhaupt, Physical Review Letters
*110*,123003 (2013)
[4] T. Bayer, D. Gräfing, S. Kerbstadt, D. Pengel, K. Eickhoff, L.
Englert and M. Wollenhaupt, New J. Phys. *21*,033001 (2019)
[5] K. Eickhoff, S. Kerbstadt, T. Bayer and M. Wollenhaupt, Phys. Rev. A
*101*,013430 (2020)
[6] S. Kerbstadt, D. Pengel, L. Englert, T. Bayer and M. Wollenhaupt,
Phys. Rev. A97, 063402 (2018)
[7] D. Pengel, S. Kerbstadt, D. Johannmeyer, L. Englert, T. Bayer and M.
Wollenhaupt, Phys. Rev. Lett. *118*,053003 (2017)
[8] S. Kerbstadt, K. Eickhoff, T. Bayer and M. Wollenhaupt, Nature
Communications *10*, 658 (2019)