Condensed Matter Seminar (News&Views series): Thursday 10 June 2021 at 11:00 am

OnlineCMSP OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Tue May 25 12:47:17 CEST 2021

Virtual - Zoom Meeting

CMSP News & Views Seminar
/
/The News & Views Seminars are meant to address our section as a whole,
and therefore include an extensive pedagogical introduction to the
topic, and present the main physical ideas of the research in a way
understandable by everybody in the section. The goal is to bridge
distances among different subgroups of our diverse CMSP section. //The
diversity in our section makes it a unique place for crossing bridges
among different topics, and for cross-fertilization among seemingly
distant fields. /
*
*
** * * Thursday, 10 June 2021 at 11:00 a.m.*** * **

Speaker: *Zala LENARCIC*  (Istititute for TheoreticalPhysics, ETH Zurich)

Title:*From observations to complexity of quantum states: an
unsupervised learning approach*

Register in advance at:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIrdu2hrT8oGNPKWCVPgPILLcdfrM8pLM36
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the seminar.

_Abstract_:

The vast complexity is a daunting property of generic quantum states
that poses a significant challenge for theoretical treatments,
especially in non-equilibrium setups. Therefore, it is vital to
recognize states which are locally less complex and thus describable
with (classical) effective theories.

I will discuss how unsupervised learning can detect the local complexity
of states. This approach can be used as a probe of scrambling and
thermalization in chaotic quantum systems or to assign the local
complexity of density matrices in open setups without knowing the
corresponding Hamiltonian or Liouvillian. The analysis actually allows
for the reconstruction of Hamiltonian operators or even noise-type that
might be contaminating the measurements. Our approach is an ideal
diagnostics tool for data obtained from (noisy) quantum simulators
because it requires only practically accessible local observations. For
example, it would be perfectly suited to detect the many-body
localization transition or integrability effects from the experimental
measurements obtained with cold atoms.

_M. Schmitt and Z. Lenarčič, arXiv:2102.11328.

_

----

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/  <https://www.ictp.it/>

----